How to Qualify
Qualification to become a Windy City Habitat Partner Homeowner is based on three criteria: need, willingness to partner and ability to pay.
Need is determined by the applicants' current housing. Questions asked about current housing include:
- Is the current housing substandard or unsafe, or in need of excessive repairs?
- Is the current housing overcrowded? (This can be in regard to the size of your family specifically or the overall building/community in which you live.)
- Is your current rent too high for your income?
- Do you or a family member have accessibility issues at your current residence?
Willingness to Partner
- Windy City Habitat prospective home owners are required to invest a minimum of 350 hours of "sweat equity."
- Prospective home owners must be willing to live where Windy City Habitat is currently building. Click here for a list of current build sites.
Ability to Pay
The applicants' ability to pay is assessed based on the following:
- Applicant creditworthiness
- Stability of family income
- Applicant work record
- Applicant income must be between 40-65% of the area median income, depending on family size (the City of Chicago Area Median Income Chart can be viewed here: http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dcd/supp_info/area_median_incomeamichart.html)
- Applicant must have a manageable debt to income ratio
- Applicant must be two years past discharge of bankruptcy or foreclosure
- Applicant must have twelve months (one year) of rental history
Important additional information regarding the Partner Homeowner Program
If you are a current homeowner, you CANNOT qualify for this program. Windy City Habitat ONLY builds on property owned by Habitat and sells those homes with no profit or interest. Visit our current projects to see where we are building.
For information on applying for a home, click here.